Daniel Shahaf <d...@daniel.shahaf.name> writes:

> > (I'm not saying that the above rules have to be used in this particular case
> >  and that a veto is invalid, but still thought it’s worth mentioning.)
> >

> I vetoed the change because it hadn't been designed on the dev@ list,
> had not garnered dev@'s consensus, and was being railroaded through.
> (as far as I could tell)

I have *absolutely* no idea where "being railroaded through" comes from.
Really, it's a wrong way of portraying and thinking about the events that have
happened so far.

Reiterating over those events: I wrote an email containing my thoughts
and explaining the motivation for such change.  I didn't reply to some of
the questions (including some tricky questions, such as the one featuring
a theoretical hash function), because they have been at least partly
answered by others in the thread, and I didn't have anything valuable
to add at that time.

During that time, I was actively coding the core part of the change,
to check if it's possible technically.  Which is important, as far as
I believe, because not all theoretically possible solutions can be implemented
without facing significant practical or implementation-related issues, and
it seems to me that you significantly undervalue such an approach.

I do not say my actions were exemplary, but as far as I can tell, they're
pretty much in line with how svn-dev has been operating so far.  But, it all
resulted in an unclear veto without any _technical_ arguments, where what's
being vetoed is unclear as well, because the change was not ready at the
moment veto got casted.

And because your veto goes in favor of a specific process (considering that
no other arguments were given), the only thing that's *actually* being
railroaded is an odd form of an RTC (review-then-commit) process that is
against our usual CTR (commit-then-review) [1,2].  That's railroading,
because it hasn't been explicitly discussed anywhere and a consensus
on it has not been reached.

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#CommitThenReview
[2] https://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#ReviewThenCommit

Regards,