On Mon, 4 Jul 2011, Josh Rickmar wrote:

Um, why is a systray needed for IRC?

It's not necessary for IRC, per se.  I wrote:

Without a systray, I don't understand where one gets the spare screen real estate to dedicate to IRC.

I don't understand how to effectively use IRC without doing one of the following:

1. keeping it on-screen (which seems impractical to me, partly because I still don't quite "get" dwm)

or

2. having some kind of indication that you've been addressed (urgent hints or whatever).

In other wm's, #2 is often handled by having a little flashing systray icon. So, broadening: what (if anything) do dwm users use for "notifications" or indicating urgency?

--
Best,
Ben