>>So my non-ASCII characters look incorrect in your MUA because you're
>>stuck in an insane locale? Too bad. That pain is self-inflicted.
>
> Don't blame me, I'm not the one who created all those funky European accented
> characters, etc.

All these 'funky' characters predate to the first english written text.
You are not the center of the world, and ASCII has a lot of signs that
are not used by other languages: $, #, @, ', ", &. Almost of them are
english centrics.

> Really within the English language, there's really only a need for 128
> characters.  All other (European) characters tend to only be seen within
> International communications.  Most within the US have no need for the
> European
> characters, etc.

Yes, but there are billons of persons of comunicating in these
other languages, in fact the majority of the population of
the world.

Regards,