> On 12 Nov 2018, at 05:28, Markus Wichmann <nullp...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 03:01:02AM +0100, Alessandro Pistocchi wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>

> Hi Alessandro,
>
>> I am new to suckless.org. I have seen some of your projects and I
>> think I share a vision with you guys to make things as simple as
>> possible but not simpler.
>>

> That's why you have an iPhone?

You would be surprised. I still use an old phone with the numeric keys as a
mobile phone.

>> I am working on a project to remove gpl stuff from Linux userspace ( I
>> am ok with GPL executables but not with GPL or LGPL libraries ) and I
>> see that your projects tend towards more open licenses.
>>

> Why would you do something so pointless? First of all, licences only
> matter if you plan on redistribution, so most here won't care. Second,
> all the GPL demands is that you distribute the source, which any good
> distribution should do, anyway, right?
>
> The reason some here choose to replace GPL'ed code with alternatives is
> less the licence and more the code quality. The utilities from GNU are
> correct and all, but some here don't understand why it is necessary for
> the true program to have command line options.
>
> And for some reason, featuritis and GPL seem to be correlated. I won't
> look for the causality here, though.
>
>> Particularly, I want to replace udev with smdev.
>>
>> I was wondering if anybody would be interested in helping me.
>>

> What's to help? You download the source, install it, remove udev from
> your init system and add smdev to it. Maybe add some configuration, but
> the defaults seem to work pretty well.

I would use some help to make it work with X ( does it work with Wayland? ).
There are not many docs I found about it...

>> My aim is to create a Linux distribution that is simple to get started
>> with but at the same time is a credible alternative to windows and
>> macos as a desktop machine.
>>

> Well, that means all of nothing. Walking can be a credible alternative
> to driving in some circumstances, but not if the distance is 400km. What
> do you want out of a desktop machine?

I want to have a windowing system, compilers and libraries mainly. Also I need
make and I would like to have flex and bison.
Maybe a web browser and a graphical IDE for source code editing but I am not
even sure about that.

> Also, are you aware that creating and maintaining a Linux distribution
> is a whole lot of work? The city of Munich recently discovered this, and
> that's why they are switching back to Windows. That, and corruption of
> course; this is public admin we're talking about.

Yes if you want a lot of functionality to manage a city.
Doing what I am trying to do is way way simpler and could never be used by the
city of Munich without a lot of additional work.

>> I want something like a modern version of a home computer like the
>> Amiga was many years ago but with current features like GPU and all
>> the goodies we have now.
>>

> And what does that all entail? From some perspective, Linux running a
> terminal program is just a modern version of DOS; an opinion I don't
> share, but that is bandied about regardless. But what is "a modern
> Amiga" to you? I'm afraid I was born too late for that one.

Ok sorry, wrong example.

Like I said above, I want a windowing system, compilers, libraries, and IDE and
a library to make desktop apps as easily as possible.
I want to be able to make and play games and to experiment with coding.