On 23/09/22 07:27PM, NRK wrote:
> And this is no longer the 50s, we have enough memory to build a couple
> thousand line of code without *requiring* splitting things into multiple
> intermediate object files to avoid going OOM (even with bloated
> compilers like gcc/clang with optimization enabled).

It's not about memory, it's more about how easy it is for a human to navigate
the source code. Of course, cscope and ctags exist, and reducing the number of
lines of code is desired, but it is not always possible to reduce a program
below 1k lines of code, so it needs splitting into several units.

For example (according to sloccount[1]), my patched dwm fork has ~3.3k lines of
C code across 5 .c files, my patched st fork has ~4.9k lines of C code across 2
.c files, and slstatus has ~2k lines of C code. My own programs are close to
those numbers: some have up to ~5k lines of code combined only in .c files.