Hi,

Superset exploits SQLAlchemy to handle the database specifics.  Both SQLAlchemy
and Superset are 100% Python thus a DBI module in addition to a Dialect module
need to be put in place.  The various database vendors/developers provide a
SQLAlchemy Dialect module to handle the SQL syntax characteristics unique to
that database.  Some databases provide their own DBI module while others use
the open source 'pyodbc' DBI module. You can check the SQLAlchemy documentation
to see what database dialects are included.

In Superset, when you create a datasource, you provide a SQLAlchemy URI which
looks something like this for PostgreSQL.

             postgres://user:XXXXXXXXXX@172.16.10.5/looker_test

The URI for the database we are creating looks like this:

             ocientdb+pyodbc://looker:XXXXXXXXXX@OcientLkr

This says to use the 'ocientdb' Dialect combined with the 'pyodbc' DBI.

So if you are using a popular database like MSSQL, MySQL, Postgres etc. it is
fairly easy to connect Superset to a database.

Hank Calzaretta

[cid:41cb8884-83cc-48f2-821b-6a316afb51fa]

www.ocient.com<http://www.ocient.com>

630-957-8802

hcalzare...@ocient.com

100 North Riverside Plaza, Suite 800