On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 10:29 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgro...@apache.org>
wrote:
"Instances of |java.util.Random| are threadsafe. However, the concurrent
use of the same |java.util.Random| instance across threads may encounter
contention and consequent poor performance.  Consider instead using
ThreadLocalRandom in multithreaded designs."

Looking around the Internet, I've seen suggestions to either user
ThreadLocalRandom or to wrap SecureRandom in Threadlocal to alleviate this
issue.
I'm just wondering if it could actually lead to worse performance if we
have multiple wrapped SecureRandom instances blocking on /dev/random
(without setting it to /dev/urandom)?

That's why I would also add to the guide such setting.
Regards.

Also, we'll need to add to the reference guide the hint to set
-Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/./urandom

for Tomcat and other Java EE containers on Linux

Yes I think that's OK.
Colm.

WDYT?
On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 12:25 PM, Colm O hEigeartaigh <
cohei...@apache.org>

wrote:

No, my query got passed on to someone else, still waiting to hear
back....

Colm.

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 7:44 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <