Hi Matthias,
After going through JIRA sub projects and references you provide I thought
of drafting proposal focusing the Distributed spark backend
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYSTEMML-2087> project because it
seems challenging and exciting area to explore :-).
I have sketched a rough diagram for design and the implementation plan for
the proposal,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MTlYWvkkApe28vDOodDR8hmxzVx9QwQX/view?usp=sharing

My idea is making Paramserv runtime similar design to ParFor runtime, and
as a extension it will handle parameter exchange. So there I will work on
some primitives required by runtime to manage the PS and then in Spark I
will implement a parameter server. Initially it will work using synchronous
method and then if time allows I will experiment with other methods and
performance factors.

And also regarding the control program I have some concerns,
In the project JIRA it was mentioned that "PS strategies will be selected
by the user", does this include the architecture of the parameter server(#
of workers and servers)  also  or does it need to be handled in the
project?

I hope this plan aligns with expectations of the community and does not
conflicts with other GSoC candidates. Your feedback for this highly
appreciated, if there is anything wrong please correct me. Thanks

*PS : I am re sending the same mail because it seems previous mail with
attachment was not delivered to the dev mailing list. *

Regards,
Chamath

--
Chamath Abeysinghe