Thanks for your interest Daiki. I created two JIRAs SYSTEMML-2233 and
SYSTEMML-2232 that might me a good starting point. I would recommend
to begin with 2233 as a basic cleanup task, which is meant to get you
comfortable. The other task is then a bit more involved but would
improve our function namespace handling (e.g., for better statistics
outputs).

If you are mostly interested in working on the Python APIs, an awesome
project would be to include the Python MLContext API into our
testsuite (or a separate Python testsuite). @Niketan: Do you have more
thoughts on that? Our dev environment anyway requires Python for the
distribution build.

Regarding the development environment, you would typically clone the
repository, setup your preferred IDE and work on local branches for
new features. Once a change is ready for review, you submit a PR which
automatically triggers a run of our testsuite on our jenkins
infrastructure. You can also run these tests locally through maven or
directly through junit, which is especially useful for debugging. The
same applies for Python as well but as mentioned above the Python API
is not yet part of the automated testsuite, so yes changes there
involve semi-manual testing.

The issue you've encountered with Java 9 might be related to [1]. I
just gave it a try and core SystemML compiles and runs fine with Java
9 when build directly through the IDE. If it's related to Scala, we
should find and discuss a resolution for our next 1.2 release.

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49016074/systemml-build-failed-on-macos

Regards,
Matthias