yes, you're absolutely right - in this form, results would always differ. Even if we feed a seed to both R and DML scripts, the implementation of our rand is very different as we need to ensure that, given a seed, we generate the same data in local and distributed operations. Accordingly, we derive seeds for each 1K x 1K block from the initial seed.

For testing purposes, we usually use one of the following two approaches: (1) use constant matrices or sequences (matrix/seq), or (2) generate the random data outside and read it into both scripts. Accordingly, I would recommend to create a copy of the dml script, place it inside the test directory, and modify the script accordingly.

Regards,
Matthias