Raising the minimum version to 2.7.x is a good idea and fine by me. I would suggest updating the pom to version 2.7.7 but only mention 2.7 as a minimum requirement in the README because as far as I know no APIs changed that wouldn't allow running SystemML on older versions as well.

Regards,
Matthias