From: Ulrich Stärk <u...@apache.org>
Date: 21 January 2018 at 21:22
Subject: Google Summer of Code 2018 is coming
To: ment...@community.apache.org

Hello PMCs (incubator Mentors, please forward this email to your podlings),

Google Summer of Code [1] is a program sponsored by Google allowing
students to spend their summer
working on open source software. Students will receive stipends for
developing open source software
full-time for three months. Projects will provide mentoring and
project ideas, and in return have
the chance to get new code developed and - most importantly - to
identify and bring in new committers.

The ASF will apply as a participating organization meaning individual
projects don't have to apply
separately.

If you want to participate with your project we ask you to do the
following things as soon as
possible but please no later than 2018-01-30:

1. understand what it means to be a mentor [2].

2. record your project ideas.

Just create issues in JIRA, label them with gsoc2018, and they will
show up at [3]. Please be as
specific as possible when describing your idea. Include the
programming language, the tools and
skills required, but try not to scare potential students away. They
are supposed to learn what's
required before the program starts.

Use labels, e.g. for the programming language (java, c, c++, erlang,
python, brainfuck, ...) or
technology area (cloud, xml, web, foo, bar, ...) and record them at [5].

Please use the COMDEV JIRA project for recording your ideas if your
project doesn't use JIRA (e.g.
httpd, ooo). Contact d...@community.apache.org if you need assistance.

[4] contains some additional information (will be updated for 2017 shortly).

3. subscribe to ment...@community.apache.org; restricted to potential
mentors, meant to be used as a
private list - general discussions on the public
d...@community.apache.org list as much as possible
please). Use a recognized address when subscribing (@apache.org or one
of your alias addresses on
record).

Note that the ASF isn't accepted as a participating organization yet,
nevertheless you *have to*
start recording your ideas now or we will not get accepted.

Over the years we were able to complete hundreds of projects
successfully. Some of our prior
students are active contributors now! Let's make this year a success again!

Cheers,

Uli

[1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/
[2] http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html