completely agree, without passing CI we have no gauge on what impact a
patch could make and no guarantee that it will not destabilize the project.
I am a +1 to holding the 0.10.0 release candidate until we can get CI back
to green and kept that way

-Jake

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 11:55 AM, John Sirois <jsir...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Jake Farrell <jfarr...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> +1 to reducing this as much as possible so there is less maintenance
>> overhead and setup. Ideally i would love to see all this dockerized so we
>> are using a common base across the board and then either travis or jenkins
>> or locally can all run those containers with the same setup in docker and
>> the same outlined test scripts (which should be within the build folder) so
>> this is the same repeatable process where ever it is run from
>>

> I said this on another thread, but I think your and other comitter limited
> resources should be bent towards doing this now and not accepting patches,
> making changes or doing RCs.
>
> The thrift project feels untenable to contribute to with all the red CI.
> After seeing this, I'm also growing disinclined towards depending on the
> tool in my projects.
> Maybe the thrift committers don't share this sense of priority, but to me
> a stable green CI is the foundation of any project, without it everything
> else crumbles.

>>> is

>>> Aha - that would be an interesting cause to the D hangs.
>>>
>>> I'm not clear on what you meant by the rest, but I assume you're
>>> addressing
>>> the confusing fact that thrift maintains 2 sets of broken CI jobs (fwict)
>>> for pull requests,  TravisCI and Apache Jenkins.
>>>
>>> It seems to me 4 steps are needed to provide baseline sanity for
>>> contributing to the project:
>>> 1. Halt accepting and changes immediately.
>>> 2. Pick Travis or Jenkins, kill the other.
>>> 3. Get the winner from 2 green.