On Mon, 26 Jul 2021, Tim Allison wrote:
Currently the OpenSearch emitter works with the 7.x version of
Elasticsearch.  Going forward, when the projects diverge:

a) do we want to support Elasticsearch and

I think we should try, but I'm not sure if it should be "we = Apache Tika" or "we = Tika people without hats"

b) are we able to pull in a non-ASL 2.0 docker image for our unit
tests of Elasticsearch

Licenses not any of the allowed lists at https://apache.org/legal/resolved.html can't normally be used, even in tests. There is dispensation for "platform dependencies", where someone has already chosen to use something under an unsuitable license (eg Windows) where you can then depend on the things from that platform. Potentially we could rely on that, if the test only ran if Elastic was present.

For now, as long as ElasticSearch and OpenSearch are compatible, let's not worry! If they diverge on the emitter side, I think we'd need to check with Legal on how we can handle it for testing.

Thanks
Nick