I think official images would be a very good idea as there exist currently
a lot of images, especially for Gremlin Server. Users typically search for
the official image or just take the image with the most pulls. Images
published directly by TinkerPop would get the most attention so users don't
end up with some image that isn't actively maintained.

Another advantage of integrating the images in TinkerPop would probably be
that the deployment could be integrated into TinkerPop's usual release
cycle. So new images can be published directly for each new version.