Github user davebshow commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/pull/691

    Yeah well there are different approaches we could have taken, e.g. leaving
the custom reader/writer options for the v2 and v3 serializer classes, but it
seems to me that the point of those classes is to provide consistency. In the
less common use case where the user provides reader/writer I think that it is
reasonably to expect that they can deal with all the required configuration
using `GraphSONMessageSerializer`.

---
with INFRA.
---