Github user spmallette commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/pull/695

    I mostly cared about nashorn to achieve testing as we did in python. I
sense that most folks won't want to run on nashorn itself, so perhaps direct
support of nashorn doesn't really matter especially if we come up with a better
way to test. I'd rather not complicate gremlin-javascript with multiple
runtimes - GLVs require enough effort to support as it is.

    btw, i felt like this lib got me pretty far in making npm work on nashorn:

    https://github.com/nodyn/jvm-npm

    wasn't too bad, but got tripped up on the pathing as it didn't seem to want
to run in a context that didn't have the js files in the same root directory as
where you were running the scriptengine from. I couldn't quite figure out how
to make that work. Again, it probably doesn't make sense to chase that angle
anymore though. I'd rather just get testing figured out for GLVs in general.

    > We can define a set of given-when-then statements (in doc), which we can
make sure each GLV implements in actual tests.

    if we can write them in a doc, then it would seem we could write them as
cucumber tests ( https://cucumber.io/ ) that could actually be executed
somehow. that's been the general plan i've had anyway. if you have any other
ideas, please let me know - i'll probably start playing around with this idea
today or get started on it fresh next week.

---