In general, I am +1 on adding a static analysis tool to our tool chain.
I just wonder whether a Java compiler is the best choice for us right
now or whether other static analysis tools would find most of the
problems that such a compiler can find and also work with other
languages than Java. SonarQube[1] for example looks pretty nice. It also
supports Python, C#, and JavaScript and we can probably just integrate
it via GitHub to generate reports for the release branches and all PRs
where it would then add issues in the form of inline comments.

[1] https://www.sonarqube.org/