Thanks for the summary. Just a quick note - I'd not worry about the GLV
tests for now. That part should be easy to sort out. Let's first make sure
that we get clear on the other items first before digging too deeply there.

On an administrative front, I think that this change should just go to
3.4.0/master (so it's currently targeted to the right branch actually) as
it sounds like we want DFS to be the default and that could be a breaking
change as the semantics of the traversal shift a bit. So that's one issue
to make sure we're all happy with.

A next issue would be the API from the user perspective - thanks for the
link to that JIRA btw - I see I was involved in that conversation a little
bit but then dropped off. You'd commented that you preferred a per loop
configuration for search approach which is what you stuck with for the
implementation. I guess I can see that there could be some value in having
that ability. That said, I'm not sure that I like the overload of order()
as the method for doing that:

g.V().has("name", "marko").
   repeat(__.outE().order().by("weight", decr).inV()).
     emit().
     order(SearchAlgo.DFS)

Still thinking about what else we might do there, but perhaps that can wait
a bit as I still need to study your changes in detail. Regarding:

>  The barrier step that Daniel described doesn’t currently work since
there’s basically booleans in the RepeatStep on whether or not to stash the
starts to make the RepeatStep depth first.

I assume you are referring to these booleans:

https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/blob/fe8ee98f6967c7b0f0ee7f2cf2d10531b68fab8b/gremlin-core/src/main/java/org/apache/tinkerpop/gremlin/process/traversal/step/branch/RepeatStep.java#L46-L47

?