On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 5:14 AM Marko Rodriguez <okramma...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey Josh,
>
> This gets to the notion I presented in “The Fabled GMachine.”
>         http://rredux.com/the-fabled-gmachine.html <
> http://rredux.com/the-fabled-gmachine.html> (first paragraph of
> “Structures, Processes, and Languages” section)
>
>  All that exists are memory addresses that contain either:
>
>         1. A primitive
>         2. A set of labeled references to other references or primitives.
>
> Using your work and the above, here is a super low-level ‘bytecode' for
> property graphs.
>
> v.goto("id") => 1

LGTM. An id is special because it is uniquely identifying / is a primary
key for the element. However, it is also just a field of the element, like
"in"/"inV" and "out"/"outV" are fields of an edge. As an aside, an id would
only really need to be unique among other elements of the same type. To the
above, I would add:

v.type() => Person

...a special operation which takes you from an element to its type. This is
important if unions are supported; e.g. "name" in my example can apply
either to a Person or a Project.

v.goto("label") => person

Or that. Like "id", "type"/"label" is special. You can think of it as a
field; it's just a different sort of field which will have the same value
for all elements of any given type.

> v.goto("properties").goto("name") => "marko"

OK, properties. Are properties built-in as a separate kind of thing from
edges, or can we treat them the same as vertices and edges here? I think we
can treat them the same. A property, in the algebraic model I described
above, is just an element with two fields, the second of which is a
primitive value. As I said, I think we need two distinct traversal
operations -- projection and selection -- and here is where we can use the
latter. Here, I will call it "comeFrom".

v.comeFrom("name", "out").goto("in") => {"marko"}

You can think of this comeFrom as a special case of a select() function
which takes a type -- "name" -- and a set of key/value pairs {("out", v)}.
It returns all matching elements of the given type. You then project to the
"in" value using your goto. I wrote {"marko"} as a set, because comeFrom
can give you multiple properties, depending on whether multi-properties are
supported.

Note how similar this is to an edge traversal:

v.comeFrom("knows", "out").goto("in") => {v[2], v[4]}

Of course, you could define "properties" in such a way that a
goto("properties") does exactly this under the hood, but in terms of low
level instructions, you need something like comeFrom.

v.goto("properties").goto("name").goto(0) => "m"

This is where the notion of optionals becomes handy. You can make
array/list indices into fields like this, but IMO you should also make them
safe. E.g. borrowing Haskell syntax for a moment:

v.goto("properties").goto("name").goto(0) => Just 'm'

v.goto("properties").goto("name").goto(5) => Nothing

v.goto("outE").goto("inV") => v[2], v[4]

I am not a big fan of untyped "outE", but you can think of this as a union
of all v.comeFrom(x, "out").goto("in"), where x is any edge type. Only
"knows" and "created" are edge types which are applicable to "Person", so
you will only get {v[2], v[4]}. If you want to get really crazy, you can
allow x to be any type. Then you get {v[2], v[4], 29, "marko"}.

> g.goto("V").goto(1) => v[1]

That, or you give every element a virtual field called "graph". So:

v.goto("graph") => g

g.comeFrom("Person", "graph") => {v[1], v[2], v[4], v[6]}

g.comeFrom("Person", "graph").restrict("id", 1)

...where restrict() is the relational "sigma" operation as above, not to be
confused with TinkerPop's select(), filter(), or has() steps. Again, I
prefer to specify a type in comeFrom (i.e. we're looking specifically for a
Person with id of 1), but you could also do a comprehension g.comeFrom(x,
"graph"), letting x range over all types.

> The goto() instruction moves the “memory reference” (traverser) from the
> current “memory address” to the “memory address” referenced by the goto()
> argument.

Agreed, if we also think of primitive values as memory references.

> The Gremlin expression:
>
>         g.V().has(‘name’,’marko’).out(‘knows’).drop()
>
> ..would compile to:
>

> g.goto(“V”).filter(goto(“properties”).goto(“name”).is(“marko”)).goto(“outE”).filter(goto(“label”).is(“knows”)).goto(“inV”).free()

In the alternate universe:

g.comeFrom("Person", "graph").comeFrom("name", "out").restrict("in",
"marko").goto("out").comeFrom("knows", "out").goto("in").free()

I have wimped out on free() and just left it as you had it, but I think it
would be worthwhile to explore a monadic syntax for traversals with
side-effects. Different topic.

Now, all of this "out", "in" business is getting pretty repetitive, right?
Well, the field names become more diverse if we allow hyper-edges and
generalized ADTs. E.g. in my Trip example, say I want to know all drop-off
locations for a given rider:

u.comeFrom("Trip", "rider").goto("dropoff").goto("place")

Done.

> If we can get things that “low-level” and still efficient to compile, then
> we can model every data structure. All you are doing is pointer chasing
> through a withStructure() data structure. .

Agreed.

No one would ever want to write strategies for goto()-based Bytecode.

Also agreed.

> Thus, perhaps there could be a PropertyGraphDecorationStrategy that does:
>
> [...]

No argument here, though the alternate-universe "bytecode" would look
slightly different. And the high-level syntax should also be able to deal
with generalized relations / data types gracefully. As a thought
experiment, suppose we were to define the steps to() as your goto(), and
from() as my comeFrom(). Then traversals like:

u.from("Trip", "rider").to("dropoff").to("time")

...look pretty good as-is, and are not too low-level. However, ordinary
edge traversals like:

v.from("knows", "out").to("in")

...do look a little Assembly-like. So in/out/both etc. remain as they are,
but are shorthand for from() and to() steps using "out" or "in":

v.out("knows") === v.outE("knows").inV() === v.from("knows", "out").to("in")

[I AM NOW GOING OFF THE RAILS]
> [sniiiiip]

Sure. Again, I like the idea of wrapping side-effects in monads. What would
that look like in a Gremlinesque fluent syntax? I don't quite know, but if
we think of the dot as a monadic bind operation like Haskell's >>=, then
perhaps the monadic expressions look pretty similar to what you have just
sketched out. Might have to be careful about what it means to nest
operations as in your addEdge examples.

[I AM NOW BACK ON THE RAILS]

> Its as if “properties”, “outE”, “label”, “inV”, etc. references mean
> something to property graph providers and they can do more intelligent
> stuff than what MongoDB would do with such information. However, someone,
> of course, can create a MongoDBPropertyGraphStrategy that would make
> documents look like vertices and edges and then use O(log(n)) lookups on
> ids to walk the graph. However, if that didn’t exist, it would still do
> something that works even if its horribly inefficient as every database can
> make primitives with references between them!

I'm on the same same pair of rails.

> Anywho @Josh, I believe goto() is what you are doing with multi-references
> off an object. How do we make it all clean, easy, and universal?

Let me know what you think of the above.

Josh