Hi Everyone,

I just thought I would leave a quick message about the state of some of our
Java dependencies.
We may be able to resolve a long-running performance issue we have had with
newer versions of
Groovy. The change for this is currently in review in PR1983. This change
will allow us to run
process-docs.sh much faster than before. A quick test showed that the time
could be reduced from
90 minutes to 25 minutes. Once this gets merged, then it should unblock us
from upgrading Groovy.
The current plan is to upgrade to Groovy 4.0.9 on the master branch and to
upgrade to Groovy 2.5.21
on 3.5-dev and 3.6-dev.

Once we upgrade Groovy, we can then focus on building and testing with JDK
17 on the master branch
as Groovy was the major blocker in upgrading the runtime version. There are
other libraries that
will potentially need upgrading such as Spark and Kryo. See TINKERPOP-2703
for the work that
Stephen has already done for this. Upgrading to Kyro 5.x will likely cause
breaking changes for
those that use Kyro 3.x as the two formats aren't compatible. However, it
seems like we have mostly
deprecated the use of Kyro already so this should reduce its impact.

To summarize, there will be major version upgrades coming to several Java
libraries (Groovy and Kyro
in particular) in the master branch. This should enable us to run and build
with JDK 17 on master.

Thanks,
Ken