Irving, Dave wrote:
Remy Maucherat wrote:

Yeah, that's the crux of it I suppose. Do you know how much of tomcat
assumes single thread request / response? After the request pops out of
tomcat (via axis), the processing on our side is already asyncronous:
        - Receive request
        - Pass request on for asyncronous processing
        - Internal request processing completes
        - Unblock tomcat thread, allowing response to be handled back
through axis and tomcat

I appreciate that dealing with axis to handle asyncronous responses is
out of the scope of this list, but what about tomcat?
Would much need to be changed to remove the assumption that everything
has been done when servicing the servlet returns? I.e: If I can make my
web-apps behave asyncronously, would a whole load need to be done within
tomcat to support this?

The container portion deals with the servlet API, which is synchronous (which is good, as it is a workable programming model). Adding additional async capabilities beyond the servlet API, such as IO events, is also possible, but here there will not be any events.

I think the conclusion is that your requirements are outside the use cases for which the servlet API was designed for, so besides reusing portions of the code, most of your request processing cannot quite run inside the main servlet container.

Rémy