Bill Barker wrote:
I can't really dispute the interpretation of the spec, but the change is likely to break many more webapps then it fixes :(.

I thought this too. However, I think we should implement the spec as is. If we start relaxing it here, then where else do we relax it? If other Servlet containers start relaxing the specs in their own ways it rapidly defeats the object of having a spec in the first place.

As it happens, the SSI functionality depends on the incorrect getContext() implementation and I intend to use the current getContext() implementation as the basis for a fix to the SSI code. This fix should be transferable to other web-apps that have similar dependencies on getContext().

My preference is to post a 'heads-up' to the users list that this change is coming in the next release along with a link to the SSI changes so users can start to look at their apps ahead of the next release.