Because the right encoding is the one specified in the <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
pageEncoding="utf8"%>.

> +++
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> GET /try1.jsp
>    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>
> +++

This is about pageEncoding, so I don't see the relevance.

> >I don't have access to an EBCDIC machine to know what the
> problem is, but
> >this isn't the fix.  Possibly a better way to guess the
> encoding of the
> >Reader?
> >

> Thinking to it  the patch is not prefect but the old code is worse we
> have a piece of code that detects correctly the  source encoding and
> detroy it...

However, the old code adheres to the JSP spec, whereas your patch breaks the
JSP spec (Appendix D).  That automatically makes the old code better than
your patch.

> In doParse() in ParserController.java the following happends
> parse() is called with pageEnc = sourceEnc
> jspConfigPageEnc = null
> isDefaultPageEncoding = false.
> But the line before the jspReader uses the sourceEnc to create the
> InputStreamReader so the content of the file is translated to
> utf-8 when
> reading it.
> In validator.java the charset will be set to the detected
> encoding... In
> the example above iso-8859.2. Bad for me that will be
> OSD_EBCDIC_DF04_1.

The only issue is why Jasper can't recognize your <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
pageEncoding="OSD_EBCDIC_DF04_1" %> statement.  That's the part that I can't
figure out (and your patch is masking :).