Hi,

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 07/06/2016 10:17, Martin Grigorov wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > Recently a colleague of mine asked me what it takes to become an Apache
> > committer.
> > I've explained him that he has to choose a project that is interesting to
> > him and start participating in the mailing lists (helping others at
> users@,
> > giving opinion and testing releases at dev@), providing patches for open
> > issues, etc.
> > Few days later he came back with the following questions:
> >
> > 1) Why Tomcat still uses SVN?
> > I've told him that this is the SCM tool most of the committers have
> > experience with and there were some discussions to move to Git several
> > months back.
> > I've recommended him to use GitHub's Pull Requests for the time being -
> PRs
> > are monitored and merged if approved. Even if Tomcat was using Git,
> Apache
> > Infra doesn't provide tool with Pull Request support (GitLab, Gerrit, or
> > similar) anyway so there is no big difference from a contributor point of
> > view.
>
> If I recall correctly, the consensus last time around was that there was
> merit in exploring the options for using git further with a view to
> migrating if the majority were convinced there was a benefit to the move.
>
> There is an outstanding task (I need to chase it up) for the infra team
> to look at if we could move to a single git repo for multiple branches
> or would need multiple repos.

One repo should be possible.
Even if there are some problems with the initial conversion from SVN to Git
the person dealing with it could create N Git repos and then with the help
of "git remote add" combine them into one with N branches and finally push
those branches into a single repository.

> > 2) Why Tomcat uses Bugzilla?
> > It is archaic and its UI is unfriendly - he said.
> > To be honest I didn't have a good answer here. I also don't like
> Bugzilla.
> > Everybody knows how to use JIRA! It is hard to explain that Apache JIRA
> > runs on Tomcat, but Tomcat project itself uses Perl software for issue
> > tracking (no matter how good Bugzilla is).
>
> My personal view is Jira is overly complex and horribly slow. Bugzilla

I think JIRA is slower because the majority of the projects are there.
But I guess it would be an overkill for Infra to maintain several instances
of JIRA (e.g. sharded by project name).

> just works. We don't need any of the extra features Jira offers. Do we
> want any of them? None come to mind. Others may have a different view.

I personally like the JIRA plugins that integrate with the SCM tools.
Committing with "PROJECT_NAME-1234" in the commit message automatically
adds a comment to the respective ticket with a link to Git/SVN repo. It is
very easy to explore the history of a ticket.
Also it has a proper "Fix version" field. With it it is much easier to
create a changelog. No need to maintain one manually.

> > I know that SVN, Git, JIRA, Bugzilla are just tools. We can do our work
> > with any of them.
> > Maybe there are more (and more important!) reasons why my colleague
> didn't
> > start contributing to Tomcat yet but I also agree with him that by moving
> > to more modern tools Tomcat will become easier and friendlier for
> newcomers.
>
> The Tomcat community tends to change development technology when it can
> see some direct benefit from the change. It doesn't change just to use
> the latest shiny new toy.

I totally agree with "see some benefit"!
I don't agree with "new" :-) Both Git and JIRA are on the market for quite
some time.