Nate,

On 6/24/16 10:40 AM, therealnewo...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 6:17 AM, Rémy Maucherat <r...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> I'm going to start some local performance testing to confirm I see
>>> similar results and, assuming I do, I'll start looking at fixing this
>>> for 1.2.x/9.0.x and back-porting.
>>>
>>> Hum, the fix that was submitted doesn't make sense IMO since writes can be
>> async, so I don't see a way besides adding the "error clear" thing after
>> each operation [and we'll remove it once OpenSSL 1.1 is there if it
>> actually fixes it]. That's assuming this issue is real [I actually never
>> noticed anything during my many ab runs and they use a lot of threads, so I
>> have a hard time believing it is significant enough ;) ].
>>

> One thing about the system on which this is running is that it has a
> 10G nic. So the slow case is about 350MB/s and the fast one is 700MB/s
> so you would need a 10G interface or use loop back to even notice the
> issue assuming the CPU on the system can push that much encrypted
> data.

I believe Jean-Frederic Clere (works with Rémy) has been using 10G
interfaces for the Tomcat performance testing, including using APR. I
don't have his slides handy... perhaps they show an unexplained
performance drop when using APR/tcnative? Or perhaps they show no
performance drop (relative to httpd).

That would be interesting to see.

-chris