Hi Mark,

For 1,  there has been  discussion on jigsaw-dev, Remy has given you pointer

For 2 & 3, core-libs-dev is the best place to open up a discussion.

Rgds,Rory

On 20/01/2017 12:14, Mark Thomas wrote:
Rory,

We have a handful of instances where Tomcat currently needs to use
reflection which are blocked when running on Java 9.

Users can work-around these but it would probably be better if an
alternative API was identified / provided to achieve the same results
without reflection.

There are currently three instances I am aware of.

1. Cleaning direct ByteBuffers
To avoid OOME, we need to be able to trigger cleaning of a direct
ByteBuffers. The code in question is at [1]. We need a way to trigger
DirectByteBuffer.cleaner().clean() via a public API.

2. Cleaning thread local related memory leaks
To fix application created memory leaks, we need to be able to clear
thread locals associated with a given class loader from a thread.
To be able to warn users they have a memory leak in their application,
we need to be able to list the thread locals associated with a class
loader for a thread. The relevant code is at [2].

3. Cleaning RMI related memory leaks
To fix application created memory leaks, we need to be able to clear RMI
objects associated with a given class loader.
To be able to warn users they have a memory leak in their application,
we need to be able to list the RMI targets associated with a given
classloader. The relevant code is at [3].

Any suggestions for alternative public APIs to achieve the same ends
gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Mark

[1]