Servlet 4.0 adds the ability to set a default request character encoding
and a default response character encoding in web.xml and
programmatically. The spec allows containers to specify their own
defaults via vendor specific config. We can do this via conf/web.xml.

Therefore, I would like to propose we configure, via conf/web.xml, UTF-8
as the default request and default response character encoding.

Thoughts, comments and/or objections?

Mark

P.S. Because of the way this is implemented, we could do something
similar with 8.5.x as well via conf/context.xml