> All,
>
> At ApacheCon, a few of us were talking about things that could be
> removed in upcoming versions of Tomcat. The issue of connectors came up,
> and I was thinking that there doesn't seem to be a reason to have an
> AjpApr connector any more.
>
> The APR flavor of the AJP connector was only useful when BIO was the
> only IO strategy available, but now NIO has been available for some
> time. APR really only gives a benefit when used with OpenSSL for TLS,
> and since AJP doesn't use crypto, I think it's no longer necessary.
>
> I think we could even remove it as of Tomcat 9 if we want.
>
> What do others think?

It is only 8 lines of code. It is probably simpler just to keep it than
to take the time to document why that particular combination is no
longer available.

However, if you expand the proposal to removing the HTTP APR/native
connector as well then that gets a lot more interesting.

Now we have NIO/NIO2 + OpenSSL there is much less of a requirement for
APR/native.

On the plus side, it is probably (mariginally?) faster in some scenarios.

On the down side, it is less stable (we still get the odd crash report)
and it is ~1200 lines of code.

Dropping the APR/native connectors also opens up the possibility of a
significantly trimmed down native library - or possibly even going
directly to OpenSSL.

It feels a bit late to do this for 9.0.x although we code if we wanted
to. It is more of an option for 10.0.x.

My current thinking is that we should drop APR/native for 10.0.x. What
do others think?