Github user isapir commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/tomcat/pull/56

    >Even if updating the type of channelStartOptions from int to String in
mbeans-descriptor,
    it will display int format values.
    Because the channelSendOptions is always set to int format.
    if you set channelSendOptions = "asynchronous", 8 will be displayed via JMX.

    Right, because we are not changing the way that the value is stored, we are
only adding a way to make it easier to set it.  You will still be able to
change the value (not sure if that's even permitted at runtime) via JMX with
either `String` or `int` value, but it will be displayed in its `int` form.

    This is the way that it is already implemented for `channelStartOptions`

            <attribute
          name="channelStartOptions"
          description="This sets channel start behaviour."
          type="java.lang.String"/>

    Which is also an `int`, but specified as `String` in the mbeans-descriptor,
and TBH, it will be inconsistent if other similar values will be displayed as
`int` and this one will be displayed as `String`.

    I can write a method to translate back from `int` to `String`, but IMO this
is really unnecessary, as it is an advanced option which you don't normally
change at runtime, and if you need to troubleshoot an issue then you know what
value you expect to see.

    Again, setting the value via JMX should work now with either `String` or
`int` input.  It's only the way that it is displayed that remains an `int`.

---
with INFRA.
---