> Mark,
>
> On 9/13/17 2:09 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> FYI but mainly for anyone doing a release, the code signing service is
>> available again. The account has been renewed for another year and we
>> (Tomcat) have enough credits to keep us going for a while. I'll keep an
>> eye on our credit usage and get our allocation increased if we need more.
>
> IIRC, Symantec was the vendor providing code-signing certificates.

Correct.

> Are those certificates impacted by the impending dis-trusting of
> Symantec-issued TLS certificates?
>
> DigiCert is purchasing (has purchased?) Symantec's various CAs, and that
> also might have an effect on (a) the trust of our
> certificates/signatures and (b) the future of the code-signing
> arrangement with the new vendor.

I haven't dug into the detail but my understanding is that the code
signing service will transition to DigiCert.

I'm expecting minimal impact for us. Particularly since no-one has even
questioned the fact that the last handful of Windows Installer releases
have been unsigned.

> I suspect DigiCert will be happy to continue to provide ASF with
> low/no-cost code-signing credits, but it might be nice to have that
> clarified sooner rather than later.

As one of the ASF admins of the code signing service I've had a couple
of emails assuring of a smooth transition so I'm fairly confident.