Le 9/10/2017 à 10:23, Mark Thomas a écrit :

> - Back-ports would become more difficult unless all currently supported
>   versions were also back-ported (which increases the costs of
>   transition)

This is an important point. Maybe the older versions of Tomcat could
just adopt the new source layout (<module>/src/main/java) but keep Ant
as the build system. Thus, the patches could be backported without
changing the paths.

> - If we change the layout of the currently supported versions, that will
>   create costs for downstream packagers

As far as Debian is concerned, switching to Maven shouldn't be that
disruptive, the tool is well supported now. Ubuntu folks on the other
hand may be less happy because they didn't include Maven in their main
repository yet, unlike Tomcat and Ant. Changing the build system would
force them to officially support Maven, which isn't a bad thing in 2017
anyway.

> - We'd need to write a code-signing plug-in for Maven

I did write a code-signing plug-in for Maven, maybe it could be extended
to work with the Symantec service used by Tomcat?

https://ebourg.github.io/jsign/

> - We'd need to write a plug-in to use NSIS or continue to use Ant for
>   the Windows Installer

No need to write a plug-in for this I think, NSIS could be invoked with
the maven-antrun-plugin.

Emmanuel Bourg