On 12/02/18 19:20, Rainer Jung wrote:
> I noticed some differences between my own builds and the binary
> distributions for TC 8.5. More precisely the classes I build for the
> examples are not binary identical to the ones distributed with out
> binary distribution.
>
> Normally I would not worry too much about binary differences, but
> previous experience told me, that the class file contents are pretty
> stable.
>
> The deltas started with 8.5.27. For 8.5.24 my build is consistent, but
> for 8.5.27 there are small changes. Example:
>
> File webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/async/Async0.class has size 2899
> Bytes in our binary distribution starting with 8.5.27, but size 2883
> until 8.5.24 and for both versions when I build it myself.
>
> I wonder whether there was a change on Mark's packaging system eg. from
> Java 7 to Java 8 or Java 9 (of course still compiling for Java 7)? Is
> this guess correct or do we know any other reason?

I use a dedicated VM for releases. Historically, I opted to do this
because I wanted to clean, consistent environment. These days it also
makes things easier as it allows my to do the release on Windows when my
main OS is Linux.

Apart from the usual Microsoft updates (I keep the VM up to date with
patches) which I doubt are relevant here, the only other recent change
is an update to Java 8 Update 162.

The Java update looks to be the most likely cause. A quick look in the
JAR manifests should confirm the Java version a release was built with.