Hi all,

I don't like it but in managed container environments application instances tend to get configured to write any log output to STDOUT (than everything is caught and redirected to a log concentrator).

I could be wrong, but I think there is no appropriate way of doing it with our standard AccessLogValve. I first thought to add a flag but then noticed that the biggest part of the code of AccessLogValve is about file management. Furthermore adding the STDOUT feature to it means we would either produce lots of warnings for attributes that get ignored once the feature is used, or risking that people might not understand what they actually configure when enabling STDOUT but still setting file and directory attributes.

I did a little experiment by stripping the existing AccessLogValve down to just use STDOUT but still allow buffer and encoding configuration. I ended up with 220 lines, less than 100 lines with actual code.

I would like to add it, but don't know whether there is enough demand for that use case and whether people agree on using a separate class as the right solution. Of course it also extends our base AbstractAccessLogValve.

Opinion?

Thanks and regards,

Rainer