Hi,

Tomcat 7 depends on DBCP 1.x and POOL 1.x. The last release of each of
these was in 2013. There are a number of fixes I would like to be able
to pull into Tomcat 7 - including the fix for BZ 58338.

There is little/no appetite in the Commons community to release DBCP 1.x
or Pool 1.x.

Having tried to get releases out via the release process Commons uses, I
have no desire to try and get these releases out myself.

It would greatly simplify things if 7.0.x took the same approach to DBCP
and Pool as 8.5.x and 9.0.x and maintained a local fork of the code.

Like the fork of DBCP 2.x and Pool 2.x, changes would be made in commons
and the Tomcat fork updated. The only local changes would be the package
re-naming and and changes required to keep checkstyle and FindBugs happy
(and some of those may get made in Commons first).

I therefore propose to import the DBCP/Pool 1.x source into Tomcat 7.x
following the same pattern as for DBCP/Pool 2.x in 8.5.x.

If there are no objections, I'll probably do this late this week early next.