Hi Team,

I am getting warning “Setting property 'digest' to 'SHA-256' did not find a
matching property” in tomcat9-stderr.log  when I use attribute "digest" in
realms.

Snip from server.xml that i am using when i get error -

<Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true"
autoDeploy="true">

<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm" digest="SHA-256" />

If I remove digest="SHA-256" from line <Realm
className="org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm" digest="SHA-256" /> and
restart tomcat service , I don’t see this warning after it.

I did search for similar error reported by other users on internet but
couldn’t confirm whether I am doing correct configuration. Some people say
that digest attribute is removed since Tomcat 8.5 while some suggested me to
use CredentialHandler sub element rather than using digest.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41325893/tomcat-form-based-authentication-datasourcerealm-configuration-errors
,
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-dev/201511.mbox/raw/%3c564a60fb.70...@gmail.com%3e

I couldn’t find  public documentation from Apache foundation confirming
that digest should not be used with Tomcat 9 . When I check docu provided
with Tomcat 9 I don’t see attribute named digest listed under Memory Based
Realm section

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/config/realm.html#Memory_Based_Realm_-_org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm

Can you confirm whether digest attribute can be still used in Tomcat 9 in
realms, if yes then what should be the correct syntax to use it. If the use
of digest is deprecated what should I be using instead?

I have been using digest attribute in previous versions of Tomcat in realms
and it used to work fine , problem is after Tomcat upgrade from Tomcat 6 to
Tomcat 9.

Regards
Dheeraj Joshi