Folks,

most of you know that there is a common convention of how to write decent Git commit messages. The scheme is: <title>\n\n<optional message>".

Where as title (proposed) is: BZ #####: <abstract from BZ>
If there is no corresponding BZ issue (which almost always should be), just an abtract.
The abstract shouldn't contain more than 80 chars (sometimes not possible).

This will highly improve commit message readablity in Git CLI, GitHub as well as Gitbox. Everything is trimmed on "<line>\n\n<lines>" in the Git world.

Personally, I sometimes have trouble to follow the commit log in Subversion to diff two versions between deployments. Therefore, I'd appreciate a better approach for the entire user base.

Here are three good examples of a readable log:
* https://github.com/apache/maven/commits/master
* https://github.com/curl/curl/commits/master
* https://github.com/apache/httpcomponents-client/commits/master

Michael