On 09/07/2019 13:09, Violeta Georgieva wrote:

> На вт, 9.07.2019 г. в 11:45 ч. Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org
> <mailto:ma...@apache.org>> написа:
>>
>> On 09/07/2019 05:29, Igal Sapir wrote:
>> > Can we move the Tomcat site to Git?
>>
>> Yes. ASF infra supports both svnpubsub and gitpubsub for websites. There
>> will need to be a little co-ordination with infra as we'd need to switch
>> where the source for the site is pulled from.
>>
>> On the plus side, Tomcat site svn repo is not mirrored to git so we
>> don't need to worry about any of that.
>>
>> I'll look into to the migration process and figure out exactly what is
>> involved.
>>
>> > Possibly to a repo named "tomcat-site"?
>>
>> That makes sense.
>>
>> In terms of when, I'd suggest after the 9.0.x and 8.5.x releases have
>> completed. There is usually a quietish period of ~3 weeks between
>> releases when the website doesn't update that much. I think it makes
>> sense to migrate then.
>
> I plan to prepare Tomcat 7 for release this week.

Cool.

I've been looking into the migration and it should be easy so waiting
until after a 7.0.x release shouldn't be an issue.

In short, the steps are:

- Create a new Git repo (we can do this via the self-service portal)
- Import the content (we can do this)
- Switch the source from svn to git (infra / I can do this)
- Move the old svn source to the attic

I think the big question at this point is do we want to try and import
history? I'm leaning towards no because:
- we have it in svn if we need it
- the site doesn't have the same requirements for looking at history as
  the source
- with the Javadocs changing for every release there is a LOT of history

If the consensus is that we should include history then I think it would
be worth running some local experiments to see how long it would take to
construct.

Mark