I noticed a slowness during Webapp startup on the Winows platform. Investigation showed, that about three seconds of the webapp startup time - roughly 1/3 of the total time - was due to File.getCanonicalPath(). That call seems to be especially expensive on Windows, because it iterates over each component of the path in question and does at least three system calls on each of them. So if you app is installed in a somewhat deeply nested path, getCanonicalPath() gets especially expensive.

One can check this with a simple test app and running the ProcessMonitpr from SysInternals, which can nicely trace file system operations.

I noticed that by far the most occurrences happened during webapp class loading. StandardRoot initializes resources to contain a DirResourceSet first and then a JarResourceSet per WEB-INF/lib jar file.

Now any class loading (of not yet loaded classes) goes through the following stack (this is for TC 8.5):

java.base@13.0.1/java.io.File.getCanonicalPath(File.java:618)
org.apache.catalina.webresources.AbstractFileResourceSet.file(AbstractFileResourceSet.java:90)
org.apache.catalina.webresources.DirResourceSet.getResource(DirResourceSet.java:101)
org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot.getResourceInternal(StandardRoot.java:281)
org.apache.catalina.webresources.Cache.getResource(Cache.java:62)
org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot.getResource(StandardRoot.java:216)
org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot.getClassLoaderResource(StandardRoot.java:225)
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.findClassInternal(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:2279)
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.findClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:857)
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1329)
- locked (a java.lang.Object@1797c4d) index 11 frame org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1329)
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1182)

In our case, the webapp does not have a WEB-INF/classes directory. Nevertheless TC always goes through the DirResourceSet running the expensive getCanonicalPath(), returning an EmptyResource and then looking for the class and finding it in one of the jar file resources. This happens about 5000 times (due to the number of classes to load).

I know that we have to do this in general, because WEB-INF/classes have precedence over WEB-INF/lib, but maybe we could optimize in the case we are looking for a class but WEB-INF/classes does not even exist? Would this be a reasonable general optimization?

Unfortunately the ResourceSet classes can not be easily extended. Since most of their fields are private, one would have to fork lots of code. It would be much easier to add the feature to the existing implementations.

Regards,

Rainer