Am 2020-01-28 um 22:53 schrieb Mark Thomas:
Michael,

On 1/28/20 4:08 PM, Michael Osipov wrote:
Folks,

I recently worked on some localization issues and noticed that, in
my opinion, these JARs are incorrectly named:

tomcat-i18n-cs.jar tomcat-i18n-de.jar tomcat-i18n-es.jar
tomcat-i18n-fr.jar tomcat-i18n-ja.jar tomcat-i18n-ko.jar
tomcat-i18n-pt-BR.jar tomcat-i18n-ru.jar tomcat-i18n-zh-CN.jar

Most people confuse I18N with L10N -- but they are distinct.
According to Mozilla [1] Tomcat is internationalized and provides
localization with those bundles. As far as I understand that, they
should be

either tomcat-l10n-<locale>.jar or tomcat-nls-<locale>.jar

NLS (native language support), for those who are familiar with
LC_MESSAGES and gettext/libintl or similar.

I don't know wether this can be backported to 8.5 or 9.0 due to
file renames, but should be an issue with 10.

[1]
https://blog.mozilla.org/l10n/2011/12/14/i18n-vs-l10n-whats-the-diff/

  Comments?

+0

This is mostly a matter of style, but you are correct, i18n is inaccurat
e.

It does mean changing the Maven co-ordinates. While I agree the current
naming is wrong, is it wrong enough to break things for upgrading users?

Yes, it does mean to change the artifact id, but consider that people will receive them at most as transitive dependency, and the change is proposed for 10 where everthing is still in flux. It is an acceptable change for that version. For 8.5+ it is for the community to decide.

I will provide a PR for 10+ only.