On 26/03/2020 16:47, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 10:37 AM Rémy Maucherat <r...@apache.org
> <mailto:r...@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     - Remove the use of system properties to control configuration
>     wherever possible.
>     I still don't see the point for quite a few of them. For others
>     however, using sys props was a mistake, example the facade
>     recycling. Also, the digester can now pull from system and env
>     properties, giving full flexibility. Also also, this is a handy way
>     to do things in cloud. I think we should target the ones which
>     should make sense.
>

> I think I'm done with that area for now as I'm a bit skeptical about
> this for JULI, EL, JSP and Websockets. Any reasonable candidates for
> removal left ?

Digester
 - Not sure. Likely to be tricky

Clustering
 - org.apache.catalina.tribes.dns_lookups
   Any DNS names are going to *have* to be resolved at some point for
   the cluster to work. I'd probably remove this and let the user
   specify DNS name or IP address as they wish.

EL
 - Can't do anything about these without spec changes

Jasper
 - Could all move to o.a.jasper.Options

Security
 - ALLOW_BACKSLASH
   Remove it. It is just wrong. If we must keep it, move it to the
   Connector.
 - ALLOW_ENCODED_SLASH
   I plan to replace this with a Connector option

Spec
 - STRICT_SERVLET_COMPLIANCE
   Is a useful short-cut
 - Move the remaining ones to the Context or related object where
   possible (I haven't checked how easy that would be)

Sessions
 - Move to the Manager or related object where possible (I haven't
   checked how easy that would be)

JULI
 - Look tricky to remove any of these.

JAR Scanning
 - Leave as is

WebSockets
 - Ideally want to set these per web app but we'd need to find a
   configuration mechanism to use

Other
 - Looks like NioSelectorShared has already been refactored out.
 - The rest look difficult to remove.