Hi, could you elaborate?  Will a matching mod_jk update be needed?

-Mitch

-----Original Message-----
From: Takayuki Kaneko [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 3:45 AM
To: Tomcat Developers List
Subject: Re: is there a hard coded size limit to mod_jk response
headers?

Hi Yuri,

You will be able to configure the packetSize at standard coyote AJP Jk
handler on Tomcat 5.5.21.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/container/tc5.5.x/webapps/docs/chang
elog.xml?r1=483339&r2=485795&diff_format=h

-Takayuki

On 1/14/07, Yuri de Wit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am getting a buffer overflow while using my webapp deployed to
> Apache2, mod_jk1.2 and Tomcat5.5.17.
>
> I am basically trying to send an HTTP response back to the browser
> with a custom json header (X-JSON header) containing more than 8Kb
> since this is the default way to send json state back to the browser
> using Prototype.js.
>
> My basic question is this: is there a hard-coded limit of 8Kb for HTTP
> response headers?
>
> If the answer is yes I could see this being a serious problem in a
> world of AJAX where we not only want to send a XHTML snipped back to
> the browser in the entity body, but also piggyback additional state in
> the response.
>
> I browsed the source code for Tomcat5.5.17 and found out that AJP13
> sends 8Kb packets back to apachelib-mod_jk. For the response entity
> body any number of 8Kb packets are sent, but for the response entity
> header it seems that always only one 8Kb packet is sent.
>
> I also found a post to this mailing list that although asked a similar
> question, did end up providing a definite answer aside from how to
> better log the problem

(http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg73387.html
).

--------------
> Jan 4, 2007 9:08:11 PM org.apache.jk.common.MsgAjp cpBytes
> SEVERE: Buffer overflow: buffer.len=8192 pos=25 data=215738
> Jan 4, 2007 9:08:11 PM org.apache.jk.common.MsgAjp cpBytes
> SEVERE: Overflow
> java.lang.Throwable
>         at org.apache.jk.common.MsgAjp.cpBytes(MsgAjp.java:172)
>         at
org.apache.jk.common.MsgAjp.appendByteChunk(MsgAjp.java:146)
>         at org.apache.jk.common.MsgAjp.appendBytes(MsgAjp.java:132)
>         at
org.apache.jk.common.JkInputStream.appendHead(JkInputStream.java:302)
>         at org.apache.jk.core.MsgContext.action(MsgContext.java:258)
>         at org.apache.coyote.Response.action(Response.java:182)
>         at org.apache.coyote.Response.sendHeaders(Response.java:378)
>         at
org.apache.jk.common.JkInputStream.doWrite(JkInputStream.java:126)
>         at org.apache.coyote.Response.doWrite(Response.java:559)
>         at
org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.realWriteBytes(OutputBuffer.j
ava:361)
>         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk.flushBuffer(ByteChunk.java:433)
>         at
org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.doFlush(OutputBuffer.java:314
)
>         at
org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.close(OutputBuffer.java:278)
>         at
org.apache.catalina.connector.Response.finishResponse(Response.java:476)
>         at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:1
51)
>         at
org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:199)
>         at
org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:282)
>         at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:754)
>         at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:
684)
>         at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.
java:876)
>         at
.java:684)