On 09/06/2020 18:37, Raymond Auge wrote:
> Hey All (particularly Markt whom I spoke with about this months and
> months ago),
>
> Noting that bnd was already added to the build I took a crack at making
> better use of it.
>
> Here are a few items and some questions in no particular order:
>
> - you don't use bndlib, can we remove that? bnd is fully standalone for
> your purposes and is all you need

If we don't need it then +1 to dropping it.

> - bootstrap.jar in master seems to be missing the class
> `org.apache.tomcat.util.ExceptionUtils` at least from a dependency
> analysis point of view, should it be included in the files list?

No sure. That needs some more careful thought / analysis.

> - tomcat-embed-core.jar appears to be missing tribes dependency (at
> least it refers to it but does not include it) Shouldn't it really
> contain all of catalina (minus catalina-ant?)

That is deliberate.

> - files.tomcat-embed-core seems to reference an old package
> org/apache/jk/**, can we remove that?

Yes, that can be removed.

> - I've split out the i18n LocalStrings_* (the locale specific ones) into
> a separate output dir so that you wouldn't have to then filter them out,
> it makes building their zips also cleaner, does that sound logical?

I'd want to see the patch for that first.

> - I moved a slew of concerns that bnd could handle out of ant and
> directly into the bnd configurations, manifest filtering, etc., bnd has
> filtering capability built in and knows about all ant properties so this
> eliminates ant work, comments on that?

Again, I'd want to see the patch for that.

> - generated all the Name sections for spec API packages instead of
> maintaining those by hand (now they are complete)

Sounds good.

> - add all the correct OSGi metadata of course to the spec jars and to
> everyone else.

Sounds good. Note the naming convention may have changed in the move
from Java EE to Jakarta EE.

> - I've added bnd's JPMS build support to all the modules, still builds
> on Java 8, and you get JPMS module-info almost for free (very small
> amount of configurable bits)

Generally sounds good. My only concern is consistency for the spec JARs.

> Could someone provide the build instruction I'd need to do the most
> throughout test build? I see that there's a .travis script which does
> `ant -q test 2>&1 > ant-test.log` is that really all?

Yes, assuming you have properties set to point to a valid Tomcat Native
build.

> Shall I create an SVN branch to explore this? Or would a git PR be enough?

I'd recommend tacking this one issue at a time. PRs would be fine for
that. Some should be pretty quick.