On 06/07/2020 12:43, Jean-Louis MONTEIRO wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if there are any plans to get GenericPrincipal to
> inherit CallerPrincipal?
> From a backward compatibility perspective, it does not seem to hurt
> because the getName() is already in the GenericPrincipal.
>
> The question comes because I was reading the Java Security API and this
> chapter
> https://javaee.github.io/security-spec/spec/jsr375-spec.html#_caller_principal_types
>
> Seems to advise that app server should inherit from CallerPrincipal.

JSR-375 was released after Java EE 8 - i.e. too late for Tomcat 9.

Tomcat implements JASPIC, now Jakarta Authentication. We do need to look
at what is changed in that spec for Jakarta EE 9 (Tomcat 10) - which
should be very little.

I don't think anyone has looked at looked at the Jakarta Security 2.0
spec for Jakarta EE 9 (Tomcat 10). I agree having GenericPrincipal
extend CallerPrincipal should be low impact. However, it would need to
be looked at in the wider context of the entire spec. We can't just pick
a single class. Taking a quick look the spec depends on CDI which Tomcat
does not support. Adding a dependency to that JAR just to extend
CallerPrincipal seems a little excessive at this point.