On 14/10/2020 01:31, Matt Benson wrote:
> Hello,
> Today I was experimenting with a Servlet ContainerInitializer in which I
> wanted to modify the value of a particular init param, but found that
> Tomcat's ServletContext implementation (ApplicationContext) explicitly
> rejected the override. The Servlet API doesn't seem to suggest that what
> I'm trying to do should not be supported; would a patch (or patches,
> thinking of multiple Tomcat versions) to support this behavior, perhaps
> conditionally, be welcome? If so, what form should such conditional support
> take?

Just to be clear about what you are trying to do.

All of this is within a single web application.

You are trying to use a ServletContainerInitializer (I assume one
deployed as part of the web application so it has been discovered via
the ServiceLoader API in a JAR located under WEB-INF/lib) to override a
ServletContext init parameter that is defined in web.xml.

Is that correct?

Mark
(who is off to remind himself what the spec does (and doesn't) say about
this)