On 06/11/2020 10:15, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 9:00 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Woot!
>>
>> The great folks at bnd have fixed this. It means depending on a snapshot
>> but compared to the disruption of the alternatives I think that is
>> acceptable for the short term.
>>
>> The issue with depending on a snapshot is reproducibility of builds. The
>> simplest option (and infra seem OK with it) is to put a copy in my home
>> dir on home.a.o.
>>
>> Any objections? Better ideas?
>>

> It's a lot better than not working. But I expect it will be a problem for
> independent build systems.

After some reflection I went for a slightly different approach.

The build script now gets the latest 5.3.0 SNAPSHOT from the bnd
snapshot repo and I will take an archive copy of the version I use for
release builds (likely only the one version).

That should minimise the issues for other builds but in the unlikely
event of someone needing to re-run a build with the exact bnd version we
used for a release rather than building from source (which would be
possible) we have a copy.

Given the nature of the work-around and the way we use bnd I'd be very
surprised if any of the snapshots between now and the 5.3.0 release (or
the 5.3.0 release itself) exhibited any observable change in behaviour
in our build system.