Am 2020-12-06 um 10:44 schrieb Mark Thomas:
On 05/12/2020 12:59, Michael Osipov wrote:
Am 2020-12-03 um 11:43 schrieb Mark Thomas:
The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.0.0 release is now available for
voting.

Apache Tomcat 10.x implements Jakarta EE 9 and, as such, the primary
package for all the specification APIs has changed from javax.* to
jakarta.*
Applications that run on Tomcat 9 will not run on Tomcat 10 without
changes.

The notable changes compared to 10.0.0-M10 are:

- Specs are now final. Tomcat passes the TCKs apart from a number of
    expected failures that don't impact spec compliance.

- The APR/Native AJP and HTTP connectors have been deprecated.
    Tomcat Native will continue to be used to support OpenSSL use with NIO
    and NIO2.

- Align the behaviour of ServletContext.getRealPath(String path) with
    the recent clarification from the Servlet specification project. If
    the path parameter does not start with / then Tomcat processes the
    call as if / is appended to the beginning of the provided path.

Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.

For full details, see the changelog:
https://ci.apache.org/projects/tomcat/tomcat10/docs/changelog.html

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.0.0/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1287/
The tag is:
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.0.0
4c8b650437e2464c1c31c6598a263b3805b7a81f

The proposed 10.0.0 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Beta   - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (beta)
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.0.0 (stable)

This is confusing. You are casting a vote von a GA version: 10.0.0, but
provide to mark this as beta? Huh? Shouldn't this be a binary vote?

This is broadly in line with how we have done this previously.

-Mxx or -RCxx while the build is considered alpha (spec APIs
implementation incomplete and/or specs not final)

That's true, but we can always improve user's perception of your naming scheme. If it is confusing for me, so it will be for others.

We could, perhaps consider something like:

-Mxx == alpha
-RCxx == beta
<none> == stable

If you have a mapping, you can safely drop it and use the target values for the sake of simplicity. No interpretations necessary.

That's my POV.