On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 12:55 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 04/05/2021 08:43, Rémy Maucherat wrote:

> few

> unless

> >> and

> >> There
> >> subcomponent
> >>
> >> Sure. 0.3.0 or 1.0.0 ?
> >>

> > I think it should move to stable 1.0, unless there's some mandatory
> feature
> > that got forgotten.
>
> I can't think of anything. Folks are starting to use it (and Tomcat 10)
> and the biggest problem seems to be that users aren't aware of the Java
> EE -> Jakarta EE changes.
>
> Is there merit in attempting to detect an application trying to load a
> Java EE 9 class (maybe limit it to Servlet, JSP, EL & WebSocket) and
> fail the deployment (assuming we catch the problem early enough) with a
> clear error message? Maybe pointing to a (maybe expanded) section in the
> migration guide?

That could be a good idea but it goes back to the deployment problem:
ideally legacy EE webapps would be detected and migrated automatically
(unless configured otherwise). But there is a problem since it's hard to
do. Even if the intent is to limit that to classloading, it's only a bit
easier. Most webapps do load stuff on startup so that's a great spot to
detect this kind of problem, but for the others the error will be lost in
the shuffle.

Rémy