Mark,

On 8/18/21 08:11, ma...@apache.org wrote:

<snip/>

     Additional configuration required for JSign + DigiCert ONE on Java 7

<snip/>

Ugh. I'm so glad this foolishness isn't required in Java 8 and later.

So we actually have to build 8.5 with Java 7? I think I had been using Java 8 to build it (oops). We should have -target 1.7 so we won't build anything that won't run on Java 7 even if built with Java 8... right?

Yes. But...

There are some API changes in the JRE (maybe ByteBuffer and/or Map) such that even if you compile with Java 8 and -target 1.7 you can see NSME.

I forget the exact details. I might have the wrong classes but I am fairly sure we have seen an issue here before.

One option would be to build with Java 11 and --release=7. That ensures the compilation is against the Java 7 API. The downside is it makes running the tests against Java 7 require a little more hoop jumping.

We could, potentially, do that for 9.0.x and 10.0.x as well.