The original root cause is probably this change:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/commit/74b7f339aa58af57c0e71b7efca66e6f2db5ae2e

(Makefile: Avoid changing LIBDIR based on whether it already exists)

The switch from lib to lib64 in private installation trees on platforms where lib64 is the platform default could be an intended consequence.

Regards,

Rainer